Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Kate's Recipe

Yum!!!

Velma’s/Frankie's version:
1 head of cabbage (chopped) 2-4 cups
1 cup chopped celery
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped, OR 1 can stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 tbls. Sugar
2 tbls corn oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place cabbage, celery, onion, red and green peppers, sugar, salt and pepper in skillet with small amount of oil in skillet.

Cook on medium heat approximately 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Put lid on skillet, reduce temperature and simmer, covered, approximately 5-10 minutes.

Kate’s adjustments:
I always make a bigger batch; it keeps well in the frig and we like it cold, too.
I use olive oil.
We leave out the peppers, but add crushed red pepper flakes to heat it up. Do this to taste.
I use fresh tomatoes and only one.
I add Basil and Oregano (or try something different each time).
I add fresh garlic.
I use quite a bit more Splenda (sugar substitute). We like it sweet/hot!
I add about 1 cup of fat-free chicken or vegetable stock and cook it about 10 minutes, then remove the lid and reduce the liquid to concentrate the flavors.
As you can tell, the recipe is Very flexible and Very good. Try it for yourself. Enjoy!

No comments: