Saturday, August 19, 2006

Easy Lasagna

2 cups sauce (I use Prego)
1 ½ cups chopped cooked meat**
1 cup cooked vegetables (I add a can of drained spinage)
½ teaspoon dried oregano or dried basil, crushed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cottage cheese
1 beaten egg
4 lasagna noodles or 4 oz of wide noodles, cooked and drained
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or mild cheddar cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
2 – 3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese

In saucepan combine desired sauce, meat, vegetables, herb and pepper. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine the cottage cheese and egg. Place half of the cooked noodles in a 10x6x2-baking dish. Spread with half the cheese-egg mixture.
Top with half the mozzarella, then half the meat-vegetable mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven about 40 minutes or till bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I got this from Better Homes and Gardens October 1982. I have been making it for years. I don’t follow the directions exactly. I don’t skimp on the cheese sometimes I’ve used canned string beans and most of the time I don't use meat.

No comments: